Those hoping to see Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones do battle again inside the Octagon may get their wish.
Following the reported retirement of Brock Lesnar, Cormier has shifted gears, identifying Stipe Miocic and Jon Jones as his preferred final two opponents before he retires.
“There’s only two fights out there for me. There’s a Miocic rematch and there’s a Jones fight, if there is a fight,” Cormier said Monday on “Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show.”
The Cormier-Miocic rematch has officially been booked for UFC 241. Following that, a trilogy bout with Jones seems the likeliest scenario, barring a change of mind from Lesnar.
“It’s all I want,” Cormier said. “If I do stick around, that would be the fight that I would do it for. It would be at 205 pounds because I need to go and get that back from him,” he said of losing his light heavyweight title to Jones at UFC 214 in 2017.
The UFC heavyweight champion had previously said he wasn’t interested in a third bout with Jones. DC lost both meetings with his longtime rival. He was beaten by unanimous decision at UFC 182 in 2015 and was KO’d in the third round of their 2017 fight, though the result was later overturned to a no-contest after Jones tested positive for an anabolic steroid.
“If you want to make everything right competitively, then you go get back the one that you lost,” Cormier said. “He’s the only guy that’s beaten me. But if I don’t, trust me, I can be fine. But I’m just fiercely competitive. … So when I say if there is another fight after (Miocic), then it would have to be that one.”
Copyright © 2019 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.