Conor McGregor is expressing interest in a rematch with Floyd Mayweather and an eventual meeting with Georges St-Pierre once UFC 229 is in the rearview mirror.
“The Notorious” will step into the Octagon on Saturday for the first time since Nov. 2016. He’ll take on Khabib Nurmagomedov for the UFC lightweight championship, a belt McGregor was previously stripped of due to inactivity.
“I would like to box him again,” McGregor said of another matchup with Mayweather on.
McGregor fought Mayweather in the ring last year, losing via TKO in the 10th round. The Irishman added he’d gladly welcome Mayweather into the Octagon, but doubts the 50-0 boxer would jump over into the MMA world.
When asked about other potential bouts, McGregor admitted he’s open to a clash with St-Pierre.
“I don’t think next though,” he said, noting that St-Pierre doesn’t have a title for him to take or a personal score with him to settle.
St-Pierre previously revealed he’s interested in fighting the winner of McGregor-Nurmagomedov. St-Pierre and McGregor represent two of the five fighters in UFC history to win a championship in multiple weight classes.
“I’m gonna do fights that interest me or that have meaning,” McGregor said.
As for a possible rubber match with Nate Diaz, the 30-year-old said a third fight will happen at some point.
“I will always give that man his rematch,” he told the show. “He gave me a rematch, I give him a rematch, that’s the way it is. When it will happen, I don’t know. … We will complete that trilogy, no doubt about it.”
McGregor holds a 10-1 record in UFC action heading into his blockbuster title fight with Nurmagomedov, who boasts a spotless 26-0 professional record.
Copyright © 2018 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.